Vulcan is unveiling a plaque in honour of Leonard Nimoy, who died last year, on July 9 at the Spock bust, which is located on the corner of Centre Street and Second Avenue.
The ceremony is open to the public.
Vulcan Tourism planned to unveil a new plaque at the Spock bust during this year’s Vul-Con and couldn’t think of anyone better to unveil it than Leonard Nimoy’s son, said Devan Daniels, Tourism’s administrator.
“It’s a great honour to have Adam here,” said Daniels.
He’s expecting a “huge” crowd to attend the plaque unveiling, which kicks off Vulcan’s Star Trek convention.
Adam will provide a question-and-answer session on stage and sign free autographs inside the convention halls of Vul-Con.
“He’s a truly class act like his father,” said Daniels about Adam signing autographs for free.
To get into the question-and-answer session, admission is required to get in to Vul-Con, which takes place July 9 and 10.
Guaranteed seating is provided to VIP ticket holders only, with general admission ticket holders seated on a first-come, first-served basis.
Tickets are available at www.vulcanconvention.com.
In addition to Adam Nimoy, Vulcan Tourism has booked eight other celebrity guests to appear at the 2016 Vul-Con, which celebrates the 50th anniversary of Star Trek.
These guests include:
- Robert Beltran, who played Commander Chakotay on Voyager;
- Sally Kellerman, who played Dr. Elizabeth Dehner on the second pilot of The Original Series;
- Robyn Curtis, who played Lieutenant Saavik in two Star Trek movies;
- Julie Cobb, whose character was the only female red shirt to be killed in The Original Series;
- Rosemary Morgan, who played Piri on Voyager and is Cobb’s daughter;
- Dominic Keating, who played Lieutenant Malcolm Reed on Enterprise;
- Andrew Robinson, who played Garak on Deep Space Nine;
- Manu Intiraymi, who played Icheb on Voyager.
“All eight of these actors have never attended a convention in Alberta before,” said Daniels.
As well as the celebrity guests, Star Trek historians John Tenuto and Maria Jose Tenuto will be making presentations throughout the weekend.